KEY FACTS, GEOGRAPHIC AND DEMOGRAPHIC HIGHLIGHTS
Zimbabwe, strategically located in the heart of Southern Africa is home to the
Key Country Facts
Official Languages: English, Ndebele, Shona, Tonga, Kalanga, Venda, Nambia
Currency: Multi Currency System
Dialling Code: +263
World Population Rank:
Population Growth Rate (2012):
Rank Population growth in Africa:
SUMMARY INFORMATION ABOUT NORTON TOWN COUNCIL
MUNICIPAL STATUS GRANTED IN : 01 May 1994
POPULATION ESTIMATE : 67 591 (according to 2012 census)
TRANSIT POPULATION : 4.29% per annum
AREA (total surface area) : 1 950 hectares
ALTITUDE : Maximum height of 1658m above
CLIMATE : The hot wet season from
November to March/April.
The cool and dry season from April to August.
The hot wet season is the summer, and the cool and dry season is the winter.
RAINFALL : Rainfall is usually in summer and
is moderately high (750 – 1000mm). Rain falls mostly in the months from November to March/April although heavy showers are possible before and after this period. Norton falls in natural ecological region 11a that normally enjoys reliable rainfall conditions rarely experiencing severe dry spells in summer.
TARRED : 60km
WORK FORCE OF MUNICIPALITY : 243 (Council employees)
70 Government employees at
LOW DENSITY : 9 828
MEDIUM DENSITY : 268
HIGH DENSITY : 16 921
NUMBER OF SCHOOLS:[PUBLIC AND PRIVATE]
SECONDARY : four (4)
PRIMARY : thirteen (13)
VOCATIONAL : one (1)
NUMBER OF HOSPITALS ` : one (1)
NUMBER OF CLINICS : two (2)
NUMBER OF PRIVATE MEDICAL FACILITIES : six (6)
WARDS : 13
COUNCILLORS : 13
|Project Name||Description||Location And Land Aspects|
|Mixed Commercial Use development||1. TANKATARA EXTENSION HOUSING PROJECT.
2. OVER 100 INDUSTRIAL STANDS IN VARIOUS AREAS OF NORTON.
3. TWO SCHOOL STANDS.
4. WATER TREATMENT PLANT AND SMART WATER MEETERS
5. SOLAR STREET LIGHTS AND LAND FOR SOLAR POWER PLANT.
6. VARIOUS FACTORY SHELLS OWNED BY INDUSTRILIALISTS WHO HAVE CLOSED SHOP.
|· About 150 residential stands measuring an average of 1000m2 and attendant service and commercial stands.
· Council intends to service this project through PPP.
· Measuring at least 3000 m2 for various industrial activities.
· For serious investors who may want to invest in the education sector. Available in Knowe, Nharira or Galloway.
· The 40 Megalitre Water Treatment Plant which will be constructed in phases is a solution to the perennial water shortages faced by Norton. The project which will be implanted through PPP has a component for supply of smart water meters.
· Various roads in Norton for street lighting and also available about 6 hectares for lease for solar power plant.
· Council can facilitate dialogue between investors and factory owners.
1. REASONS TO INVEST IN NORTON.
· Proximity to Harare, (40 km)
· On major highway and rail to Bulawayo.
· Abundant Raw Water, Lakes Chivero and Darwendale
· Serene and Unpolluted Environment.
- Low rates compared to nearby cities.
- On the major national electricity grid form Kariba.
- Abundant Labour.
- APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION FOR CONSIDERATION.
- Application Letter
- Proof of registration if company
- Proof of capacity for area of interest.
- Reference if any.
- APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO: